Friday, April 07, 2006

Spring at last!!

Although showers are trying to spoil it I actually think spring is here. I went out into my garden this morning and started thinking about my plans for it this year. YAAAAY I hope beyond hope this is it at last! No more darkness and depression. Its time to get my freak on and strut like John Travolta!!!!! I have a real soft spot for spring flowers over all others, tulips, crocus' and daffodils. Please let it be here to stay!!
I've missed being outdoors. This year i've got to crack on with getting my son riding his bike without stabilisers, so we can go 'scambling' in the woods on our bikes like big boys do.

According to Wikipedia Scrambling is a method of ascending rocky faces and ridges. It is an ambiguous term that lies somewhere between hillwalking and rock-climbing.[1]

Thats a load of tommy rot!!! All kids know scrambling is doing dangerous stuff on your bikes in woods and on dirt tracks. Where this other description has come from I don't know.

"Daffodils" (1804)

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).


8 comments:

MaryB said...

Ah, Spring! Ah, Wordsworth! Ah, daffodils! (Mine bloomed about 3 weeks ago in Atlanta - on to azaleas, now.)

Shirley said...

I cannae believe it! Only this morning I was thinking about this poem and thinking I must search it out it's full version and here you've done the work for me!
Can't stand daffs though, but Tulips are divine, I must buy some bulbs!
I'm gonna go mad and simply sprinkle seeds over the garden I did it a few years ago and I'm still getting California Poppies every year!

jomoore said...

Right on, chux. Spring is my absolute favourite time of year, and I've been lucky enough to have time off through this spell of wonderful weather when everything has burst into life, seemingly overnight.

Now then, "jocund" is a word we don't use often enough...

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, Shirleen, not liking daffs! You had better not to come to Wales. The local council here does a wonderful job with its daff planting. The banks of the main road that sweeps around the bay from Swansea to Mumbles are covered with daffs. Absolutely gorgeous.

Have fun scrambling, chux.

Chris said...

Thank you very much Chux. Since you wrote this post it has got colder and colder until yesterday we had a heavy fall here of something that looked suspiciously like big lumps of frozen moisture; (not really snow but doing a very good impression).

meljoy said...

I love the springtime too! Last week it snowed on wednesday, then thursday it was 70 degrees, on saturday, it rained and dropped into the 30's. It has been in the 70's since monday and I love it!

Delmonti said...

ya big puff

dissertation writing said...

nice blog.
dissertation writing
Best academic dissertation writing services, we do writing, editing and proof reading for all level of education including PhD and Doctoral.