Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Broom brooooooom ....beeeep!

I haven't shared with you my almost perverse interest in mechanical things. Be it planes or cars I have an interest and a certain desire to be sitting in these things swooping or turning to my hearts desire. I've always had a love for the Spitfire. I love how it looks, its sounds and its history and the fact that they took the speed of this plane almost as fast as is possible without it being a jet. If there was just ONE thing I would do if I could ever have the chance, it would be to fly in a spitfire. A possibility that is even less likely due to the fact that there are very few 2 man spitfires in the world. Ashamedly I must admit that when I can I go to airshows and yes I have binoculars around my neck whilst I oooo and ahhh at displays. When I was a kid, liking the red arrows was not cool, but now I love watching them!

Funny thing is this post wasn't meant to be about planes, but rather it was meant as a lead into the fact that I went to the Bexhill Classic Car Show on bank holiday Monday. My wife and daughter couldn't be bothered with it, leaving it up to me and my son along with a friend to get nerdy with the classic car set. I'm going to just show you some photos from it now, along with my comments. Please do not think badly of me, rather understand I have a problem and that as i'm maturing it seems to be getting worse. Oh and yes i'm looking into getting my own classic car for next year...........what a loser!
This is my mate Paul and this is his Morris Minor. Five of us turned up at the event in it, I really don't know how it was possible. I have spoken to him by the way about his attire and how he looks like someone who owns a Morris Minor. That looks like a flat cap to me!! Sorry Pad


My personal taste in cars is more to do with appearance and design outside and in, rather than the performance, this is true with this car. I had some fun with this fella. The car is a Lancia Beta Montecarlo. I was taking a photo when the owner turned up and wanted to go. Firstly I asked if I could get one more photo, to which he said yes. Secondly, I then cheekily asked if I could sit in it with him for the photo above. Finally, I thought stuff it and asked him for a go, to which he said alright then! We went a couple of miles down the road to Cooden Beach where we could listen to the engine rumble as we went under the railway bridge. Excellent! Thanks again to the Mister Man for taking me out in his car. It pays to be a cheeky boy sometimes.

Ahh the Daimler Dart, as modelled by our sons! Genuinely a beautiful car to behold. I can't get over the fact it was a Police pursuit car. You can tell the man who was going to drive it chose it. If he had left the decision to the bosses he'd have ended up in an old Model T Ford. The photo does not do it any justice, you need to look at it side long and you then can see why it was called the dart. If you look at the front you can see the bell that would have been used in a chase...how cool is that!

Can you believe this beauty is a Volvo? What happened to them? They went from this, to making boxes with wheels. This one was used for the original series of The Saint, and would have been driven by the lead character himself. I can't see Volvo being used on any TV programs today other than maybe Countryfile. What a waste of what could have been!

No comments: