Monday, September 10, 2007

One Hit Wonders!

According to Wikipedia, One-Hit-Wonders in the UK are a Top 40 phenomenon. Where an artist or band produce a single hit song that brings immediate yet brief fame.

It was whilst thinking on a recent post by PT that it made me think about my favourite One-Hit-Wonders. You can't always explain why you like a particular song like this but if you are like me you often felt disappointed that the group or artist were unable to repeat the glory.

These are the ones I could think of immediately when I considered the subject. You'll notice most songs were in the 80's and the performers had mullets! I've supplied as many Youtube links as I can to help relive the these glorious tunes.

King - Love and Pride. Also they did a follow up which I prefer called Taste of Your Tears but it did't get beyond no.26 in the charts so I dont count that as a hit

China Crisis - Black Man Ray

Alphaville - Big In Japan

Phyllis Nelson - Move Closer who can forget the gap in her teeth!

Tony Basil - Mickey (for some reason Youtube made me confirm my age before letting me see this video, maybe i've missed something)

Far Corporation - Stairway to Heaven (I prefer this upbeat version to Led Zep's, who never release it as a single anyway)

I'm sure i've shown my ignorance with some of these and that in fact the people involved have had huge success but never mind eh! Also i'm sure Delmonti will still be convinced I have 'Cloth Ears'.

So have you got any One Hit Wonders that have stuck with you? Where you shine a little light of remembrance for their all too brief flash of brilliance?

I would like to appologise to Altered Images, Transvision Vamp (Wendy James.....nuff said) and Billy Idol who I considered putting in this list until I went through Youtube and reminded myself of some of their other hits.....sorry.

6 comments:

Delmonti said...

Of course you've got cloth ears, but that dosent mean occasionally you get it right by accident.

Anonymous said...

Just seen your blog on blogexplosion.com... wow, it's so much like a blog I already visit... he lives in Bex Hill too, maybe you know him?

Anonymous said...

I saw King on stage way back then. It was, um, forgettable.

petercmoore said...

Move Closer?! Lordy!

Don't fret Chuckie - I'm still reading, but work's firewall now forbids me from commenting and I sometimes forget to have another look when I get home...

Liz Hinds said...

I must be old: I don't know any of those.

luciente said...

Like, whoa.

Alphaville's "Forever Young" got like, ten thousand million airplays. It was on the radio ALL THE TIME.

ps i love toni basil's nonMickey stuff. cheesy and so good!