Monday, June 04, 2007

I need your help............its life or death


You'll understand the urgency when I explain to you its our 15th (yes I was a child bride) Wedding Anniversary in less than 2 weeks!! I want to get my wife a present, but need some ideas.


With the big move to Bexhill we have decided although 15 years is a decent milestone in our marriage we dont have the resources to go to town with our celebrations, such as a party. I plan for us still to go for a nice dinner out together, but finding a good restaurant in an unfamiliar area is a problem. I'm randomly approaching 'locals' pretending to be a market researcher in an endeavour to solve where too eat. I'm sure i'll work it out. There is always KFC!



Its this present quandry that is muffling the activities of the grey cells. I want it to be something that will make her go ahhh and smile. I'm not talking about mega expensive here. In the past I bought her a white gold diamond solitare and so jewelery unless something really unusual and beautiful (and much cheaper than that ring) wouldnt be on the list. I have given her CD's and books, beauty treatments, perfume and smellies in the past but I want to do something else. Underware and chocolates have been done in the past too, but I don't really think they are my darlings 'thing' at the moment.


So I throw myself on your mercy and ask if you have any ideas?
What about gifts you have given in the past that had a good reaction? Or, maybe you received something that you always cherish or at least thought it was particularly sweet?

6 comments:

jomoore said...

Over 15 years, you must have got to know her pretty well, so how about a hamper of her favourite things? Not expensive favourite, but everyday favourite... Favourite jam, favourite magazine, etc. Little things. Not a grand gesture, but something you'll have to put a lot of thought into that she'll appreciate straight away. Plus, if you fill a basket with lots of little things, it's great for the 'ooh, aah' factor!
Just an idea... :o)

Delmonti said...

Hmmmm, asking for my advice about women is never a good thing. It only highlights that fact you know nothing about me.

My ex-wife once made the mistake of asking me for something expensive and unnecessary. I suspect my suggestion of a course of Chemotherapy went a long way to her leaving soon afterwards.

Seriously tho, if you've been together for 15 years maybe you could treat her to being without you and the kids for an extended period of time..... e.g take the kids (and yourself) away for the weekend and let her explore the wonders of the environs without being bugged by everyone.

Clare said...

Have a look on lastminute.com - I bought Phil (my bloke) a flying lesson for his birthday which was an unusual and surprising gift...
I like Jo's idea of a hamper though!

chux said...

lastminute =.com would be good if i was living in chertsey as we could go to a london show and have dinner - that would be nice. But organizing from here on the coast and getting babysitters is more trouble as we dont know people quite well enough yet to trust them with my darlings. Good idea tho Clare thanks for the thought.

Jo, i'm happy to dothis but i cant think of enough items to put into a box. What sort of things? you said fav mag and stuff but i need you to be more specific i think.

Dave, giving her time is nice but i'm thinking of a gift for her when we are out to dinner. I do think that will be a nice thing to do as well and i'm gonna think about having a day off for her or something.

jomoore said...

OK, let me think.

I did this for someone once just by going round Tesco...

Maybe a cheap compilation CD of music that she'll like. An old movie on DVD. Something that'll be a treat that she wouldn't normally treat herself to.

If it was for me, I'd want some nice biscuits that were just for me, a posh jar of jam, some fancy cheese (and crackers that are posher that cream crackers), some lovely chocolate, a trashy paperback.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Good luck!

MaryB said...

It's posts like these that make me glad I'm not in a relationship. ;-)

chux - Congratulations on your impending anniversary. And I feel bad that I have nothing to add to the suggestion list.