Tuesday, March 07, 2006

An eye opener to Islam

I went with my son on a school trip to the 'Woking Mosque'. I wanted to share a bit of the experience and the conclusions I reached. There was even some humour during the visit!


1st Impression
This was the building itself. It is only a small Mosque. I thought it was a very attractive building with simple yet beautiful decoration both internally and externally. Colours used were green, white and gold. It possessed none of the intimidating and sometimes grotesque decoration and architecture of many churches.
We were greeted by a small smiling man, dressed in a plain light green full length shirt and slip on shoes, who was an Imam (Priest) serving at the mosque and the larger place of worship on the same site. He was very friendly and welcoming.
We had to take our shoes off before we could enter the Mosque as this was the respectful thing to do, and showed their commitment to cleanliness and respect for this as a holy place.


Things I Learnt
The Mosque has a long local history, with it being built by a 'Christian' in 1889. It was the first Mosque built in Britain. Woking is what i'd call a medium sized town outside of London, but 1,000 Muslim's come to the Mosque for the service on a friday. This astounded me as I could bet that with all the local churches put together they wouldnt have an attendance anywhere near that number any day of the week.
We found out that Muslim's believe they too are the children of Adam and Eve and that the temple at Mecca was originally built by Adam, but then it was destroyed in the Great Flood, and eventually rebuilt again by Abraham. In fact it was very clear that Muslim's believe in many of the same prophets as the Jews and Christians, including Adam, Noah, Abraham and they even have a grave in Mecca ascribed to Jesus Christ.
Allah means god. It is the Arabic work for god. So in practise if an Arabic Christian was talking about god he would use Allah. Allah being a title not a specific name to a certain god. Although many use it to refer to the Islamic concept of God. (do have a look at this link as its really interesting) The Imam also spoke of the great respect Muslim's have for their holy writings and that they use it in its original Arabic text. Children go to the Mosque for lessons on learning Arabic and the teachings of the Qur'an. So for most Muslims in Britain that means they can understand 3 languages, Arabic, English and their mother tongue, which begs the comment from me, how can we westerners claim to be the educated ones!!
A good Muslim prays 5 times a day towards Mecca and goes through a ritual of washing themselves, including face, arms to the elbow and feet, before they pray. They pray in the direction of Mecca which was more south east than east. (as i had previously thought)

What conclusions did I reach ?
I believe this sort of visit is an essential for all westerners and so-called Christians. It helps us to understand these ones within our community. Often people show descrimination just because something is different. This experience highlighted to me just how much we do have in common, rather than concentrating on the differences. A contrary image to that given to us by the media of Islam being made up of extremists.
It reminded me that Islam and Judaism (and by extension Christians) come from the same physical family line. Both go back as far as Abraham with Islam being of the family of Ishmael and the Jews being of the family of Issac. (two sons of Abraham) So the two have a brother/sister relationship, which I guess is why they argue so much. It reaffirmed what I had already understood, which is that both Muslims and Jews/Christians accept many of the same prophets. Muslims also believe that the bible is a holy writing and should be treated respectfully.
An outstanding point was how hospitable the Imam was to us. If people wanted to wander about that was not a problem, the Imam often said 'please be comfortable'. He had an excellent manner with the children who felt free to ask him anything. (see my bit on humour) Apparently they have visits such as this to the Mosque on an almost daily basis. I can openly say there is no reason why anybody would be offended or intimidated by this place or those working within it.
I feel I have learnt from this visit just how dedicated Muslims are to their beliefs, a level of devotion that much of the western world has forgotten over the years. And perhaps because the western world has forgotten how to be genuinly devoted to their own beliefs that is why we find it hard to understand or show empathy to those that do.
Humour was there any :D
Surprisingly enough yes there was.
One little boy put his hand up and asked the Imam, " why are all Muslims brown?" To which the Imam burst out laughing!! (before explaining there are Muslims from all races)
The other funny was the school bus that we rode on. It rattled and bounced along. In fact i'm glad we didnt have to go too far to get to our destination as the journey made parts of me wobble that I didnt know existed, and I might even consider wearing a bra another time!

9 comments:

Simon said...

That was very interesting chux. As a practising Christian myself, I believe in understanding things rather than outright faith all the time (although in our faith, it is required at points) Many people point the finger and say 'Islam is....' but I do thin there are many Moslems that think exactly the same way. My point is, many of those people should look at themselves before doing these things before criticising anybody. Not all Moslems are bad, just a few extremists screw thngs up for the rest of us.

MaryB said...

Agreed. If everyone would just stop the yelling and open their eyes and ears, a huge wedge of hatred and misunderstanding would dissipate.

Good tour, chux! And to think it all happened in Woking! ;-)

chux said...

Thanks for the comments guys ! I'm not shouting 'give peace a chance' with this post. It did stand out in my mind how many things Muslim and the west agree on but you'd never believe it when we listen to press. I think I was really blessed with having parents who never showed any discrimination.
Maryb - I forget you know the area, i'll have to watch my step in case! :D

Simon said...

On a lighter note, I did check out that video you mentioned and it's quite interesting...the combination of real life and animation, haven't seen done in that way for quite a while!

Anonymous said...

too heavy bruv - not what I expected from you. It is funny though how all religions believe they are the "chosen ones". Just needs the main men to get together and agree to a common understanding for all other religions and quit all this pointless fighting etc

Anonymous said...

Excellent read Chux - However you have to wonder how many so called moderate muslims would take time to visit a church? a temple? You were welcomed with open arms because you took an interest in Islam, I'm afraid it's a one way thing. A eye opener would be when a group of muslim children visit a church, temple etc with their families and respect your beliefs too.

I'm sorry if I come across as anti-islamic, however I can assure you that I respect all religions.

1 God, just different paths!

Respect and Peace

chux said...

tesh thanks for the comment - I also understand that maybe you have more practicle experience than some. I sure though there are many open minded 'individuals'. On other visits from the school I believe they went to a church and a Cathedral and the Muslim children went along without protest from the family. Also I had Muslims come to my wedding.

meljoy said...

TRUE muslims (much like TRUE Christians) are very respectable people. They probably respect us waaaaay more than we (americans) will ever respect them. They is the stupid ass phobia of "arabs" because they are going "to blow something up" but how many people are we (americans) blwoing up over in iraq everytday? eh, it's sickening, the way people can be so close-minded. So it's okay for us to blow up people and shoot children, but it's not okay for them? What kind of culture are we living in???

I'm sorry, little rant...

Soul of Dawn said...

Happy to know u aren't prejudiced against this community,like half the world is.I live in India, where hindus,muslims,sikhs,christians,parsis,buddhists,jews...... all live together peacefully.Problems arise when the uneducated lot fall into the hands of the conservatives who twist n turn the beautiful things the Quran has to say, to serve their own vested interests.It's pathetic, but its happening & tarnishing the image of even the good,peaceloving muslims all over the world!!