Saturday, December 17, 2005

like a healing salve.........

It was sitting in a car with a friend today that I verbally acknowledged something that I have been feeling. We were just having a break from work going for a drive and listening to a variety of musical sounds. We had listened to 'God Save the Queen' by the Sex Pistols and for some reason I was surprised at just how genuinely musical the Sex Pistols were and that the vocals were of a decent standard too. This isn't the thought that I wanted to discuss, but it does set the scene for the mind set I was in. I was pondering and thinking.
The real point is this.
I realised what a positive effect my children have on me. Now I know they can drive me to despair at times too. But they do just have this way of making things feel so much better. My work gets me down sometimes, I find it unfulfilling and dull. Also paying the bills and doing the hum-drum can be negative. But I can have a day like this where I feel tainted by the world, tainted by everything else. Then I go home and I see my beautiful children and hear my daughter tell me about her day or what the latest pink thing out there is. Or I just look in to the living room where my son is watching tv, but somehow he breaks the hypnotic trance for long enough to just turn and say hello and even sometimes just to say 'love you dad'. These simple things are just enough to heal the days wounds. They are enough for me to leave the negativity that was lingering on my person. Its just as the title of this blog states, my kids are like a healing salve, a much need tonic, a cure for the poison of the world to me. In fact as we had recently been on vacation it made me think that the time we had together as family felt like 'the real life', not this other stuff that inconveniently gets in the way. I hope and pray that I always tell and show them how much I appreciate them and view them as more precious than anything.

5 comments:

MaryB said...

I always loved it when my little Kate would drop everything in her play center, run and throw her arms around my legs before I got the chance to dump purse and briefcase to get to her level. You can have a real shit-day at work and then - poof! - it all disappears when the kid-thing kicks in.

I will warn you though - all of that disappears for a few years in their teens. (Uh-oh!) But as the mother of a 22-year-old, it all comes back again once their parental-hatred-hormones settle down. And it's just as gratifying and theraputic to have your grown-up children give you a hug or end a phone call with "love you" as it was to have a 3-year-old throw herself at you.

Now, can we talk some more about the Sex Pistols?

meljoy said...

Awww, wow. that's really cool, just that you appreciate your children so much. You would NOT believe the shit I see everyday on my street. "Parents" smaking their kids around, telling little babies to 'shut up' kuz they're crying. Drinking alcohol on thier stoops, smoking crack and pot while their kids play next to them. One kid whipped his dick out and pissed next to my house, and his mother did nothing.

I really hate to see what this next generation is going to do. It's good to know that there are still people like you in the world, even if you don't live in America...

Anonymous said...

Chux

You're dead right mate - I know just what you mean.Took my two to see Narnia yesterday and now their latest trick is to run off down the front of the cinema and sit RIGHT at the front :o)
I could just see their little heads from where I was a few rows back and with a cool movie like it was,and seeing them entranced by the film,(or were they asleep)it made me dead proud to be their dad :o)

Delmonti said...

probably the best thing you've written so far.... probably because it wasnt forced.

You're a lucky man, but you know that.

chux said...

Thanks for the comments, thats really kind. I gave them both an extra hug last night. I do agree (maryb), I think i'll be in for it when they turn into teenagers but thankfully thats still a little while off. I can't imagine being like the people that mel mentioned in her note. Having children should be a priviledge. Many people struggle to have them. Then they see undeserving ones that mistreat what should be precious.

Cute thing they did today was both of them got into our bed this morning to warm up as its got a lot chillier lately. So we all get extra cuddles!! I think you need that, especially as it is Monday morning and its back to work.