Wednesday, October 10, 2007

To Cross the Road

Why should I feel nervous when I help someone cross the road? What have I come to, that my instinctive response when asked for kindness by a stranger is ‘what’s the scam’? What should have been a simple everyday case of humanity, made me look around for a non existent accomplice and then to feel guilt for thinking that way.

An older woman who obviously had some other ‘issues’ wanted help to cross the road in Bexhill town.

Are we really that suspicious and sceptical in the suburbs of London? I hate myself for thinking like I did. I want to thank that lady for helping me. It was her that helped me to cross the road.

4 comments:

Delmonti said...

hmmmm. It's a battle you'll never win. It really is black and white... It's a sad reflection on todays society that we HAVE to weigh up EVERYTHING thats not an everyday occurence. You're either gonna be taken advantage of, or feel like a git.

jomoore said...

Thought-provoking post, Chux. Let's call ourselves 'savvy' rather than cynical or suspicious... :o)

MaryB said...

True, Chux - damned if you do and damned if you don't. Everything's gotten so wide off the mark - trust no one. Any yet. Look at what's lost. (Glad you made it across the road, through.)

Liz Hinds said...

But I've heard about these south coast towns. Full of pensioners just waiting to trip you up and mug you. Give them a wide berth I say.