Thursday, October 05, 2006

if I was not in this place now, Guildford I would be!


Since I was a kid my favourite place to live if I had to move was Guildford. Hear me out before you shout me down on this one.


This is what I like about it..
1. It sits in the best county in the country Surrey
2. Officially a city as it has its own cathedral
3. Its history and its castle ruins, the architecture is wonderful.
4. Multiculturalness (i like that) mainly I think because of the students from the college
5. Best cafe's and restaurants
6. Best shopping (it beats Kingston hands down!!)
7. Buskers. Not your scruffy lot but interesting colourful characters that wash.
8. Guilfest music festival but only in recent years
9. People look cool. Its the place where I consider what I wear before I go there, because people dress so nicely in Guildford.
10. My local and favourite branch of Richer Sounds is there. (DVD and Hi-Fi arooney!)

So why blog about something trivial like this. Well thats what its about right? It was going into Guildford for the first time in a year with my son, and soaking up the cool relaxed vibe. It just felt 'nice' to be there again. To sit in a familiar place drinking a perfect coffee, watching nice people dressed nicely, a breath of fresh air.

So I ask you why do you think I feel like this about Guildford? Why not choose somewhere exotic? Why not Kingston or even London?

Anyway i'm off now as i'm getting ready for my Sweden trip for this weekend. Thanks for bothering to read this far! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guildford rocks! My sister (who's a lawyer) went to do her bar there... i can't remember what the name of the law college is. Surrey is just pretty all over. I love Surrey - I would live there too if I had the choice. I did apply to Surrey University and got accepted but I choose London University (King's College) instead. have a good trip in sweden.

Liz Hinds said...

But there's no sea in Guildford!

MaryB said...

OK, I'm sold. You've totally convinced me that if I ever move to England, I should live in Guildford. Previously, I woulda stuck with Walton-on-Thames.

Liz does have a point, Chux - no sea. But I've lived in land-locked Atlanta long enough to know I can live without the sea.

chux said...

Thanks Foo, Sweden was great and i'll be posting about that when I get a breat in work today.

Liz, Guildford doesn't need any gimmicks to make it great! Anyway the Sea isnt all that its made out to be. I mean lets be honest who needs it :)

Maryb, I can confidently say that Walton can be kicked into touch. When you are next over go and spend a day shopping taking in the atmosphere of the big G! I'm sure a taste is enough for you to want more !

thanks for the comments all
Chux

meljoy said...

there's nothing nice like that over here... Jealous...

Clare said...

Guildford is cool, great place to shop, and always used to be a "treat" when I was younger, as Kingston/Woking were closer to where I lived. Now, my boyfriend lives in Godalming, so I can, if I want (or had any money, being a person of a shopping persuasion and with little self control), spend all my weekends pottering up and down the cobbled high street! However... I'm not sure it is a city, rumour has it that they have applied on a number of occasions and been turned down. But then, maybe I'm wrong...