Friday, March 05, 2010

Decisions

That cold and cough was severe, beyond normal man-flu I tell you.  Until earlier this week I had been unable to go outside for the previous ten days, because of the cold and its effect on my cough and chest.   It's a great relief to be clearing up from it now at last.   Someone suggested that maybe it was the infamous 'Swine-Flu' that has been talked about so much, but personally I think it was just a nasty 'Piggin' Cold.

Things are back to normal for life and work again.  When it comes to work, normal means dreadful.   My true feeling is that I really am unhappy in my work, but I have always believed that work is a means to end.  So I should be able to find a little place of contentment knowing that it funds my real life.   Thing is now I can't hide away from it, the reality of redundancy is looming for many including me.   The discussions about cost reduction and headcount has made things a little more complicated. I can't go into the details as it could easily be the catalyst for making my severance a premature one.  So its like this, do I sit it out and just wait and see what happens?  Or do I take the bull by the horns and turn my hand to something else.  The latter option is the one I really like, because I hate the thought of being a victim and having someone else decide my future.   Thing is though, I have a family, a mortgage, a loan and to pay and two pets to care for.  I don't want to put them under pressure unnecessarily, the family I mean, not the pets, they might become the meal at this rate (only kiddin of course).   I have had enough of the corporate world, and would love to turn my hand to other things, but I need to earn a minimum that covers the essentials. 

I think reality is that I will have to sit this out, even though I really don't want to.  It's realistic that I might have to look at other options anyway, as the situation could easily turn terminal (in a work sense).  In that case what does a man do who has IT skills but lives away from the big towns and cities and lives by the sea, where a lot of old people have retired?  Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Blue Bakelite Radio said...

Having IT skills... doesn't that mean you're more likely able to work remotely, away from home?