Monday, March 31, 2008

been making my mind up!

Sounds very Bucks Fizz-ish I know.

I never make decisions that involve technology quickly, that and the fact is hate paying over the odds for ANYTHING. I'm almost so obsessive that i'm daring the prices to go down after I buy things. I torture myself by checking the prices for weeks after a purchase. Am I the only one that does this?? Surely there aren't others too? If i searched the internet I'd bet there a name for it even. Some phobia like post-purchasaphobia! In fact there you go I've invented it!

So anyway as it stands, I have finally made by new TV purchase. I phoned up my local Richer Sounds store in Brighton (local 45 mins away!!) and reserved a Sony Bravia which according to almost everyone I had spoken to and the professional reviews was the best. I had spent weeks comparing reviews so that I didn't get this purchase wrong, and was confident i'd done my best. Last Wednesday I went to the store and had a great shopping experience with the top notch staff there, and inevitably returned home that evening with a .......Philips! (click link to see my choice)

Why the change of mind. For a start that's typical of me. Then it comes down to one simple fact, reviews are a total waste of time and you have to decide for yourself. To me the choice was obvious when i compared products.

So my advice for the future, when making your mind up I suggest you do just that. Make YOUR mind up and ignore anyone else's. And also if you are going to buy Audio or Video go to Richer Sounds as they have the best display and the most knowledgeable staff. (and the prices are very good)

3 comments:

Delmonti said...

According to Which, Sony is overpriced and technically sub standard. In fact, they say the worst of the lot is the one that Chuckie buys.

jomoore said...

Good on ya, Chuckie!

(Though I must just say, in my defence, Delmonti, that I'm very happy with my Sony Bravia, and it was the best deal at the time...)

All the advice in the world is all very well, but at the end of the day you've got to go with your own mind, or you're never happy with your decision.

chux said...

delmonti....you are only partly right in your comments. Indeed the general rule about Sony tv's is the overpriced thing. In both cases the actual models I looked at were not covered by the a Which test. A lot of the information I got on the Sony came from What Hi-fi and the internet.
If I was going to pick on a negative about my new set over the Sony it would be that the Sony has a far superior EPG on Freeview, which does matter to me. As I have the new Sony Freeview PVR it has this already so I was able to make that compromise with little pain.

Jo/Delmonti.. the fact is that the reviews are often only opinions and although they help your decision, you still need to have an independent mind. I spent a solid hour or more just staring at the different images, and as much as the heart wanted me to buy Sony, the head said no. The Philips was prices at an extra £100, and that didnt put me off!

This is a typical example if you havent already guessed of when I get a bit OCD about stuff!