Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Triops...............how cool are they!!

It just astounds me!

My son had one of these kits given to him as a gift, and so it has become our latest science experiment together. It is incredible, from dorment eggs that are like specs of dust, by just adding spring water to a container and doing minimal preparation within 1 week we have living creatures that have already grown to about 10mm long. I have checked just in case as to whether this growth rate will continue, which it will, but to a maximum of 25-75mm (1-3inches).

What I dont want to happen is that I come down one morning and these things have grown so big that they have eaten the kids for breakfast. Saying that the old coffee jar that they are currently living in may get bit tight in the next week or so. (blimey)

Triops are crustaceans that have been on the earth for a long time. A Triassic, Jurassic sort of thing. (what does the odd 10 thousand years here and there matter) They have been incredible to watch, although I must say my wife doesn't quite have the same level of enthusiasm about them as the kids and I do. The other sort of things you can get like these are Sea Monkeys which live for longer but don't get any where near as big. Watching them eat their food is facinating. They hold it under their body with their legs (for want of a better way of expressing it) whilst they slowly eat. They often scuffle when it comes to lunch times a bit like a donut in a health spa.

There are loads of information resources on the web about Triops. Here's one with good images and the video clip is excellent. click

9 comments:

Delmonti said...

Has this anything to do with our recent visit to the SeaLife Center in Brighton?

Chris said...

Or have you been recently to see 'The Little Shop of Horrors'?

Liz Hinds said...

Wow, that's amazing! I want one.

meljoy said...

ewww. I see hwy your wife doens't have the same level of enthusiasm...

chux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chux said...

Dave: not really anything to do with the sealife centre, we have had these in mind for quite a few months

Chris: you read my mind today i feed these things little food pellets, next day the kat , until finally the mother-in-law.
Do you remember the song from little shop of horrors? it went...
i've given you sunlight
i've given you rain
but it looks like you're not happy
unless i open a vein!


Liz: its a must do - go find them - they even have kits in tesco's for these things now.

Mel: stop being so soft ya daft bat!

Chris said...

I lurve 'Little Shop of Horrors', although I did have a bad experience a few months ago; went to see a local amateur operatic group do it and HAD to leave half-way through. I've never done that before!! You'd think that being able to sing would be a requirement of belonging to an operatic group, wouldn't you??

chux said...

yer I liked the film! (yes doctor!)

You would expect an opera group to be able to hum a tune wouldnt you eh!! :-)

Owt stranger than folk - shocks me that people have the balls to sound so bad in company!! Obviously they all had hearing difficulties!

btw _ didnt Pete do well with his play?? Good fun!! Sorry I didnt get to talk to you more, my lot wanted to go straight after the show.

meljoy said...

lol, daft bat, now that's funny! And yuk, I hate little creatures of any type.